Yassou from Olympia, Greece! That concludes all the greek I know how to say. It means hello. Or it means Goat. I’m still not sure but no one laughs when I say it so I think it is Hello.
We are having an amazing trip. Day 4 has ended and we have been going nonstop. The best part of these guided tours is I don’t have to worry about transportation or hotels. The tour package includes all of that. For one all-inclusive price. Isn’t that great?
Here’s what they don’t include Lol
- All meals, We get 6 breakfasts and 3 dinners. Total. For 8 days. Guess what? That doesn’t feed 12 people. So we are scrambling to find food. It’s actually become it’s own Olympic event. When someone comes back with a box of Cereal they won Gold as we pass the box around to eat like it’s the only snack we will ever get on this bus trip to hell Lol
- Any and all English speaking merchants and store helpers. You go to buy something. If your English speaking guide is not standing right next to you, they take whatever money you have in your hand and pat your shoulder. I think I bought a Greek flag for about 20,000 Euros when the price clearly said 4500 Euros. I learned my first day.
- Your credit card company WILL lock up your entire credit card by using it one time out of the United States. And good luck trying to get a customer service rep to help you. That took 3 days to get unlocked. Even though I called all of my cards before I left and told them put a note on my account, I’m going to New York City and Greece!
- There is no Facetiming my boys back home. The last time I saw their faces was Sunday afternoon. I miss them and I’m going nuts not seeing them!
- Everyone complains the entire bus ride. Even my nice relatives have turned on me. We get an hour at each place. You have to RUN to the site, look at it, snap pictures and listen for the whistle. Then find the correct bus and move on to the next thing.
- If you miss a word or a fun fact, don’t ask for them to repeat it. That’s illegal or considered an insult. I haven’t figured out which one. That’s why the vendors push the history books which are cleverly stationed right next to all of the sites.
- The food in Greece is amazing. The water not so much.
- Cellphone service. No.
- International WiFi. No.
- The last hotel had such bad water pressure I washed my hair in the sink and cut the back of my head trying to get my head out of the sink Lol
We finally gave up having a nice, friendly family trip. It’s every man, woman, and child for themselves. The only thing that bonds us is the gathering of food and water and the equal hatred for the bus driver who doesn’t follow speed limits or even stay on designated roads. He does get us to places on time, we all agree on that one.
I love it here. I will never come back Lol I really am happy to be helping out the Greek economy. No one works. Or at least no one I have seen works. Even the folks that run or own the shops. They sit there and stare at you. I guess American tourists have worn out their welcome.
I need to go. I think the hotel is charging me 10,000 Euros a minute for internet access. And I need to send off some work emails before my hour is up. I will be home really early Sunday morning. I will never take my Aunts and Uncles on another trip in my entire life. And Drew and his family are the only thing keeping me sane. We are finally just laughing through all of it. We have nothing left.
The highlight of the trip so far was the sheep kicking my uncle right in the leg and knocking him down. Keep in mind my Uncle had been petting his asshole for about 2 minutes before the sheep kicked him so it was justified. If my Uncle had been paying attention to where his hand was I don’t think the sheep would have kicked him. Either way, it was the funniest thing I have ever seen in my life. Late at night when I’m swatting bugs away from my head and trying to sleep I relive that scene over and over in my head and have decided it was worth every penny I spent on this vacation to see that happen. My Uncle is fine. He doesn’t even have a bruise.
Hope everyone is having a great week! I’m exhausted, hungry, and dirty. I smell like an airport bathroom in New York City. And I can’t wait to crawl into my own shower and live in it for 2 days when I get home. Best vacation ever, worst group of vacationers to be with! Greece is beautiful and romantic. I have taken so many photos I don’t want to delete any of them.
I love my boys! I miss you guys! I will be home soon.